Gregor Mendel’s Experiments and the Inheritance of Characteristics
How and When Mendel carried out his experiments:
a. Briefly outline Mendel’s biography
• Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) was an Augustinian monk of Austrian origin and is known as the Father of Genetics.
• During his childhood he worked as a gardener, and as a young man attended the Olmutz Philosophical Institute.
• In 1843 he entered an Augustinian monastery in Brunn, Czechoslovakia.
• Mendel's attraction for scientific research was based on his love of nature in general. He was not only interested in plants, but also in meteorology and theories of evolution.
• He also worked as a teacher and an investigator while living in the monastery in Brunn.
b. Describe the experiments carried out by Mendel and include any significant data
• Mendel experimented with garden pea plants, investigating their breeding patterns to determine the inheritance of characteristics.
• The traits he studies were:
o Stem length: tall or short
o The colour of the seed contents: yellow or green
o The colour of the seed coat: grey or white
o The shape of the seed: round or wrinkled peas
o The colour of the unripe pod: yellow or grebe
o Flower position: axial or terminal
o Pod shape: inflated or constricted (see figure 1)
• Over a period of 2 years, Mendel established pure-breeding lines of pea plants which he then cross-bred to study the inheritance of their characteristics.
|Experimental Technique |Summary of work and Results (see figure 2)|Significance |
|To establish pure-breeding lines |Pure-Breeding line 1: |The offspring of pure-breeding lines all |
| | |resemble their parents, ensuring they are|
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). Gregor Mendel’s Experiments and the Inheritance of Characteristics. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gregor-Mendel-s-Experiments-And-The-Inheritance-913896.html
"Gregor Mendel’s Experiments and the Inheritance of Characteristics" StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gregor-Mendel-s-Experiments-And-The-Inheritance-913896.html>.
"Gregor Mendel’s Experiments and the Inheritance of Characteristics." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gregor-Mendel-s-Experiments-And-The-Inheritance-913896.html.