1. At roughly what time period was the golden age of ancient Greece? 500 B.C. 2. Who was an ancient Greek writer of fables? Homer
3. Who was a Greek mathematician? Pythrogras
4. Why should Americans study ancient Greece? We oew everything to ancient Greece.
5. How is a city-state more than just a city? It had no desire to join a larger country. 6. What term was not in use during the golden age of Greece? Why not? They did not say greece so it was dotted with city-states 7. What is an agora? Assembly of the people/ town meeting
THE LIFE OF A GREEK GIRL
8. How were women oppressed in ancient Greece? Treated with disrespect 9. What would happen if a family did not have a male heir? All wealth would go to the closest male relative 10. At what age did most girls get married? 14
11. What is a dowry? Money goods estate
12. What was the goal of every Greek wife? To produce male heir 13. When was murder completely legal in ancient Greece? When someone was caught in a affair with a married women.
THE LIFE OF A GREEK BOY
14. What is a Greek adage about their newborn children? If its a boy keep it and if its a girl expose it
15. What ceremony did boys go through before becoming men? They cut their hair 16. Boys were sent to do what at the age of eighteen? Left for two years for military purposes. 17. What does the word gymnos mean? Means wearing no clothes 18. How long were men subject to the military draft? Two years 19. What is a lyre? harp
20. What is rhetoric? Is persuasive speaking
21. What was the Greek word for one who participates in sport contests? 22. What was a sophist?
23. What was the most dangerous Greek sport?
24. What is the “bible of the Greeks”?
25. The gymnasium was the ancient predecessor of what modern institution? 26. What were the two tools teachers used to teach reading and writing? 27. When did education end for most boys?
28. Why were Greek men expected to keep their bodies in shape?
29. According to the Greek moral code, what two crimes were capital offenses? 30. Explain how Greece did not have a strict religious code: 31. Spotting what kind of bird during the daytime foretold death? 32. What could priests tell from an animal’s organs?
33. What does fortuitous mean?
34. What is a pantheon?
35. What is augury?
36. What usually occurred after a Greek sacrifice?
37. Where did the Oracle of Delphi sit?
38. Which god or goddess was most honored in Athens?
39. Whom did kings consult to learn their future?
40. How did citizens vote sometimes vote in Athens?
41. What groups were excluded from Athenian citizenship?
42. What type of democracy did Athens have?
43. When did the first Olympics occur?
44. What Olympic contest was held at the Olympian hippodrome? 45. Were the Olympics the only games held in ancient Greece? 46. What was the Heraia?
47. What are the five sports in the pentathlon?
48. How were the lives of Spartan women different from the lives of Athenian women? 49. Sparta was one of the few societies to produce no _______. 50. Spartan boys started their training at what age?
51. Spartan boys were yearly flogged for what reason?
52. What did an apprenticeship of a young boy to an older boy accomplish? 53. How were Spartan boys taught stealth?
54. What did the Spartans do with their unwanted children? Toss them of a cliff 55. What story demonstrated the Spartan discipline?
56. What was a Spartan wedding night ritual?
57. What word is a synonym for gorge?
58. Sparta was completely dedicated to the art of what?
59. Hippocrates is often called:
60. How many children died in ancient Greece before the age of...