1. Why does Gatsby stop giving parties?
2. When does Tom first realize that Daisy loves Gatsby?
3. Why is Myrtle Wilson upset when she sees Tom and Jordan?
4. Why does Gatsby view Daisy’s child with surprise?
5. Why does Gatsby object to letting Tom drive his car?
6. What ironic situation is occurring on the drive to town?
7. Why is Nick pleased with Gatsby’s honesty about Ox ford? 9. What has increased Tom’s hatred of Gatsby?
10. Why does Tom’s defense of family life amuse Nick?
11. What is the significance of Nick’s thirtieth birthday? 12. Why does Tom insist that Daisy and Gatsby drive home together? 13. Why does Nick change his feelings toward Jordan?
15. What is Nick’s attitude toward Gatsby?
14. Why are Tom and Daisy reconciled?
15. Describe Daisy and Gatsby's new relationship.
16. Compare George Wilson and Tom. What did each man learn about his wife and how did they each react? 17. If Daisy says she's never loved Tom, is there someone whom she thinks she loves? 18. Describe the fight between Gatsby and Tom. What do these men think of each other? How are they similar and how are they different? 19. What do you think Tom and Daisy were saying to each other in the kitchen? Do you think that Tom knew Daisy was driving the "death car"? Why, why not?
Chapter Eight Questions for The Great Gatsby
1. How does Fitzgerald achieve a melancholic mood in the beginning of this chapter? 2. How are seasons used in constructing this novel?
3. Who is Dan Cody and what is his significance in Gatsby's life? 4. How does Nick's statement "You're worth the whole bunch put together" show a change in Nick? .. from the beginning of the novel? 5. How does T. J. Eckleberg affect Mr. Wilson?