Grameen Bank

Topics: Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank, Microfinance Pages: 24 (4013 words) Published: February 18, 2013

Grameen Bank (GB) has reversed conventional banking practice by removing the need for collateral and created a banking system based on mutual trust, accountability, participation and creativity. Grameen Bank provides credit to the poorest of the poor in rural Bangladesh, without any collateral. At Grameen Bank, credit is a cost effective weapon to fight poverty and it serves as a catalyst in the overall development of socio-economic conditions of the poor who have been kept outside the banking orbit on the ground that they are poor and hence not bankable. Professor Muhammad Yunus, the founder of "Grameen Bank" and its Ex- Managing Director, reasoned that if financial resources can be made available to the poor people on terms and conditions that are appropriate and reasonable, "these millions of small people with their millions of small pursuits can add up to create the biggest development wonder."    

As of October, 2011, it has 8.349 million borrowers, 97 percent of whom are women. With 2,565 branches, Grameen Bank provides services in 81,379 villages, covering more than 97 percent of the total villages in Bangladesh. 

Grameen Bank's positive impact on its poor and formerly poor borrowers has been documented in many independent studies carried out by external agencies including the World Bank, the International Food Research Policy Institute (IFPRI) and the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS). 

Grameen Bank Project was born in the village of Jobra, Bangladesh, in 1976. In 1983 it was transformed into a formal bank under a special law passed for its creation. It is owned by the poor borrowers of the bank who are mostly women. It works exclusively for them. Borrowers of Grameen Bank at present own 90 percent of the total equity of the bank. Remaining 10 per cent is owned by the government.

Grameen Bank methodology is almost the reverse of the conventional banking methodology. Conventional banking is based on the principle that the more you have, the more you can get. In other words, if you have little or nothing, you get nothing. As a r.esult, more than half the population of the world is deprived of the financial services of the conventional banks. Conventional banking is based on collateral, Grameen system is collateral- free.

Grameen Bank starts with the belief that credit should be accepted as a human right, and builds a system where one who does not possess anything gets the highest priority in getting a loan. Grameen methodology is not based on assessing the material possession of a person, it is based on the potential of a person. Grameen believes that all human beings, including the poorest, are endowed with endless potential.

Conventional banks look at what has already been acquired by a person. Grameen bank looks at the potential that is waiting to be unleashed in a person. Conventional banks are owned by the rich, generally men. Grameen Bank is owned by poor women.


The origin of Grameen Bank can be traced back to 1976 when Professor Muhammad Yunus, Head of the Rural Economics Program at the University of Chittagong, launched an action research project to examine the possibility of designing a credit delivery system to provide banking services targeted at the rural poor. The Grameen Bank Project (G rameen means "rural" or "village" in Bengali language) came into operation with the following objectives:  1) Extend banking facilities to poor men and women;

2) Eliminate the exploitation of the poor by money lenders;
3) Create opportunities for self-employment for the vast multitude of unemployed people in rural Bangladesh; 4) Bring the disadvantaged, mostly the women from the poorest households, within the fold of an organizational format which they can understand and manage by themselves; and 5) Reverse the age-old vicious circle of "low income, low saving & low investment", into virtuous circle of "low income, injection of credit, investment, more...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Role of Grameen Bank in Social Business in Bangladesh Essay
  • grameen model Essay
  • To What Extent Can Microcredit Be Effective in Alleviation of Poverty. the Case Study of the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh Essay
  • grameen bank Essay
  • Essay on Grameen Bank
  • Report on Grameen Bank Essay
  • Essay about Attitude of Women Beneficiaries Towards Grameen Bank Micro-credit Program

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free