The National Endowment for the Arts is a government sponsored foundation.
The duty of the National Endowment for the Arts is to foster the growth of the
arts evenly through the national, state, and local levels of the country. With
all of the budget slashing that is now taking place the arts is the first place
that people look to take money from. This not only happens on the national
level but also in our schools. Many people don't see the arts as important.
It is the most important thing that our society has.
Art, in each and every form that it comes in, shows us who we are. Our
pictures that we paint, our songs which we compose, our theater for which we
write, act, and dance for, our buildings which we design, as a whole, explains
our culture. Future historians will look back at these things and judge us by
our accomplishments in these areas. When we look back in history, we recall it
through the greatest past achievements in art: the Sistine Chapel, the great
pyramids of Egypt, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and the works of Plato.
Shouldn't we be able to show feats just as grand?
Most Americans do agree with me. In 1992, a study called the "Americans
and the Arts VI" was conducted; it ended with these results:
* 60% of the people support the federal support of the arts.
* 63% of the people support the state's support of the arts.
* 84% of the people regard art as a reflection of life and
times of a nation.
* 75% of the people think that the government can be helpful to
artists in funding their work and in helping them gain recognition.
* 69% of the people would raise their taxes $5 a year if it were to
go to the arts.
* 64% a $10 increase and 56% a $15 increase.
* 90% of the people feel that the arts should be a regular part of a
* 54% of the people would cut spending on school sports... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(1999, 10). Government Funding for the Arts. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 1999, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Government-Funding-Arts-4124.html
"Government Funding for the Arts" StudyMode.com. 10 1999. 10 1999 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Government-Funding-Arts-4124.html>.
"Government Funding for the Arts." StudyMode.com. 10, 1999. Accessed 10, 1999. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Government-Funding-Arts-4124.html.