Google was a visionary company from the start. It always looked into the future and did the acquisitions keeping that perspective in mind. At that time, Google could see that the era of computers too was seeing lot of radical changes – computers were becoming smaller and smaller, incorporating mobile functions too and in building into itself advanced internet access facilities. Also lot of companies were investing heavily into this kind of research and development. Android was one of the startup companies which had a good research and technologies invented in terms of software for mobile phones. Google perceived it as a ideal and excellent candidate for acquisition, as it would be ready made base for the future research and innovations which Google had in mind. It would provide Google the right platform to launch its future strategic goals and ambitions. Thus based on the long term strategic vision in mind, Google chose to enter the market through the purchase of Adroid.
Opportunities for Google
- Google had already a ready made customer base
- There was a huge perceived new market for mobile phones
- There was huge potential for advanced internet facility based mobiles
- Google had its own mobile linux platform
- Purchase of android enabled it access to whole open source platform based area to be incorporated into mobiles
- Mutual benefit relationship with developers wherein no profits were charged enable huge loyalty
- Good vendor relationship ensured goodwill and publicity in the market
Threats to Google’s Business
- Cut throat competition prevailing in the market
- Competition in the operation system segment too from the likes of Symbian, Windows Mobile, Nokia, iphone etc
- Revenue stream based more on advertisement revenue which could be dangerous
- The need of constant updating and innovation in terms of technology
- Need for more and more products based on variety to survive
- Increasing dominance of... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 10). Google Android Case Analysis. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Google-Android-Case-Analysis-1189196.html
"Google Android Case Analysis" StudyMode.com. 10 2012. 10 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Google-Android-Case-Analysis-1189196.html>.
"Google Android Case Analysis." StudyMode.com. 10, 2012. Accessed 10, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Google-Android-Case-Analysis-1189196.html.