San Francisco’s city engineer estimated the cost at $100 million, impractical for the time, and fielded the question to bridge engineers of whether it could be built for less. One who responded, Joseph Strauss, was ambitious but dreamy engineer and poet who had, for his graduate thesis, designed a 55 mile long railroad bridge across the Bering Strait.
At the time, Strauss had completed some 400 drawbridges- most of which were inland- and nothing on the scale of the new project. Strauss spent more than a decade drumming up support in Northern California.
The bridge faced opposition, including litigation, for many sources. The Department of War was concerned that the bridge would interfere with ship traffic; The Navy feared that a ship collision or sabotage to the bridge could block the entrance to one of it’s main harbors.
In May 1924, Colonel Herbert Deakyne held the second hearing on the bridge on behalf of the Secretary of war in a request to use Federal land for construction. The bridges name was first used when the project was initially discussed in 1917 by M.M O’Shaughnessy, city engineer of San Francisco, and Strauss.
The name became official with the passage of the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District Act by the State Legislature in 1923. On June 12, the Santa Rosa chamber voted to endorse the actions of the “Bridging the Golden Gate Association” by attending the meeting of the Boards of Supervisors in San Francisco on June 23 and by requesting that the Board of Supervisors of Sonoma County also attend.
By 1925, the Santa Rosa camber had assumed responsibility for circulating bridge...