Causes for possible food shortages in the future:
1. Growing population in the word.
2. Economic downturn (more and more people are unable to buy food)
3. Poor management in global agriculture and food safety (food cannot be made available to those in need at reasonable prices)
4. Limitations in technology and resources to produce more food.
5. Unknown effects- sudden changes in commodity prices and natural disasters and increase demand for bio-fuels.
6. “Green revolution” has caused heavy environmental costs from heavy fertilization and poorly planned irrigation schemes. (land in many places have become unsuitable to grow crops)
Yes, GM crops can help prevent food shortages:
1. GM crops yield larger production with better quality.
2. GM crops could survive better than normal crops in severe conditions
No, GM crops can’t help prevent food shortages:
1. Most GM crops are not suitable to be grown in Asia and Africa
2. Many governments and markets do not accept GM crops so that GM crops could not be distributed to the places that really need food. (because GM food might cause allergies)
3. By looking at the number of hungry people today, do you think GM crops really help?
Question 2: Describe the problems of the agricultural sector in Thailand. Do you think that the government policies are responsible for these problems? Give reasons.
Problems of the agricultural sector in Thailand:
1. Thailand has low food productivity and Thai government does not pay enough attention to the agricultural sector.
2. Thailand has outdated irrigation technology and inefficient water management system.
3. Farmers in Thailand lack of the knowledge to use fertilizers correctly and many farmers can not afford fertilizers because of corruption in the sales... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 11). Gm Food. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gm-Food-486192.html
"Gm Food" StudyMode.com. 11 2010. 11 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gm-Food-486192.html>.
"Gm Food." StudyMode.com. 11, 2010. Accessed 11, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Gm-Food-486192.html.