Eric Lab 2
1. Monosaccharides and polysaccharides are two classes of Carbohydrates
2. Long chains of amino acids make up Proteins_ and contain the atom _Nitrogen which is unique to this macromolecule.
3. Fats like triacylglycerols are the macromolecule ___lipids_____.
4. You just reviewed type of carbohydrates. Glucose is a simple sugar called a monosaccharide , whereas starch contains compound carbon chains and is a polysaccharide .
5. Polysaccharides are formed by a dehydration synthesis reaction between monosaccharides. What does this mean? Water molecules are removed from the bond.
6. For each of the following tests, please circle which substance would give a positive result: a. Benedict's test - glucose tap water oil (lipid)) starch protein b. Starch test - glucose tap water oil (lipid)) starch protein c. Sudan IV test - glucose tap water oil (lipid)) starch protein d. Biuret test - glucose tap water oil (lipid)) starch protein
7. All proteins contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and what other element? Nitrogen
8. When one glycerol molecule covalently bonds via dehydration synthesis with three fatty acid molecules the resulting macromolecule is called a __lipid_________.
9. What are the two general categories of carbohydrates? Starch and cellulose ID the test: Sudan IV, Benedict's, Biuret, Starch
10. The cloudy, orange color that shows a positive result for the __Benedict’s____ test is due to simple sugars reducing cupric ions to cuprous ions which oxidize to form copper oxide.
11. If a solution contains macromolecules that test positive for the Biuret test, light refracts from copper-containing rings to produce a violet color.
12. The reagent used in the _Sudan IV__ test is soluble in lipid, but not in water. Adding ethanol to test solutions is necessary.
Uses of Macromolecules
13. Explain the difference between...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document