Geography SBA Field Trip Worksheet
Gaynstead High School
Study Area: Lyssons, St. Thomas
Wednesday June 4, 2008
An examination of two peasant farming activities will be conducted in the study area.
• SBA strategy sheet
• Note book/ pad
• Measuring tape
• Clinometer or protractor
• Meter ruler
Students will form groups of four and conduct data collection. This will be achieved through interviewing the farmers, noting observations, conducting field measurements, drawing sketches and taking photographs.
The Peasant Farm
❖ Farm location, size and setting
1. Describe the relief of the area – hilly, flat, gently sloping 2. Estimate the size of the farm
3. Describe the layout of the farm
4. Measure the size of a small and large farm plot
5. Measure the degree of slope for two cultivated hill slopes present 6. Sketch a hill slope, showing the plot arrangement and size, crops grown and degree of slope 7. Does the farmer own, lease, or rent the land on which the farm is situated? 8. How did the farmer acquire the land if owned?
❖ Farming Practices
1. Is mixed cropping undertaken? If yes, list the crops cultivated. (photograph) 2. Is mixed farming practiced? If yes, name the animals reared and state approximately how much of each. (photograph) 3. Are chemicals and/or artificial fertilizers used on the farm? If so, state their name, purpose and frequency of use. 4. Are natural/organic methods used such as composting, mulching and manure use undertaken? If so, state why and to what extent and frequency. 5. Does the farmer practice any soil conservation techniques (Contour farming, terracing, crop rotation)? If so what type/s and why? (photograph and sketch) 5. Is irrigation practiced? If so, describe how it is undertaken. (photograph) 6. How does the farmer know what crop to plant when?
7. Outline the farming cycle of six (6) crops.
|Crop name |Planting time |Reaping time |Growth time | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
8. Observe the relief on which the various crops are grown.
❖ Tools, equipment and Machinery
1. What are the various tools used by the farmer and state the purpose of each? (photograph)
|Tool, equipment/machinery |Purpose | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document