Read: Chapter 9 – Film Genre's
Assignment One: Quiz (20 points)
This is an untimed, open book test. Test is over the information in Chapter 9. Must be completed by Sunday at Midnight. March 6 at Midnight. Assignment Two: Film Review
This is your chance to play film critic. Review sites such as Fandango and Rotton Tomatoes to see the structure and style of film reviews. You can review any film we have viewed this quarter or a current Theatrical or DVD Release. Please submit your Film Review in the Drop box entitled Review in the Drop Box area. Due Sunday March 6 at Midnight. Term Paper: Due Friday March 11th.
Group Projects: Due Finals week.
1. John Ford's The Searchersis a major example of which genre? A) The Western B) The detective story
C) The science-fiction film
D) The musical
2. Which of the following is not a reason or is not true about the recent popularity of the crime thriller with filmmakers? A) It is an international trend. B) Allows for elaborate special effects.
C) Relatively inexpensive to produce.
D) Offers showy roles to actors.
3. The Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers film Swing Time is an example of the backstage musical. A) TrueB) False
4. Most complex and original films are impossible to classify within a single genre. A) TrueB) False
5. Periods within which genres are popular are called "cycles." A) TrueB) False
6. Filmmakers try to create "pure" films that avoid mixing the conventions of more than one genre. A) TrueB) False
7. Most scholars see genre films as pure escapism, with no significant relation to contemporary society. A) TrueB) False
8. Which of the following is not a film genre? A) The action film B) The romance film
C) The experimental film
D) The comedy film
9. The most popular way of defining genre...