General Guidelines for Case Write-up
• Case studies contain real or hypothetical business situations. • Provide tools to effectively:
-Apply theories to real business situations
-Generate solutions to real business problems
Steps to Complete a Case Report
• Read the case carefully
• Determine the main problem and any associated problems • Establish the important relevant facts
• Analyze the situational factors (external, internal) • Apply course concepts or theories
• Develop alternative solutions, based on your analysis. • Recommend the best solution.
• Organize and write your case report
Writing a Case Report (suggested headings)
• Problem statement
• Research and Rationale (course concepts)
• Overriding problem and its consequences if left unresolved • Associated problems and how they are linked to the key problem.
• External Environment
• Internal Issues
• Other analysis specific to case (eg competitive analysis)
Research and Rationale
• Identify appropriate concepts or theories
• Expand on theories and substantiate your arguments
• Try to apply more than one theory (max 3 per case)
• Briefly outline the key alternatives you have considered.
• State your solution (short-term and long-term).
• Explain how you arrived at the solution from your analysis. • Outline your implementation plan.
• Include the costs and benefits of your recommendations. • Explain how the solutions address the problems and show the limitations.
• Case studies help lead to management, leadership and personal reflections. • Explain how you might apply aspects of the lessons learned to yourself.
Format for Written Report
• Word document...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document