• …everything was still curtained and shuttered in a way that stifled the children, made them feel that their lungs were stuffed with cotton wool and their noses with dust…
• The white walls of the veranda glared stridently in the sun…everything gleaming, brassy and bare.
• The garden outside was like a tray made of beaten brass…
• No life stirred at this arid time of day
• The scent of earth receiving water, slaking its thirst in great gulps and releasing that green scent of freshness, coolness.
• The trees and bushes around them stood inky and sepulchral, spilling long shadows across them.
• …they burst out like seeds from a crackling, over-ripe pod into the veranda…
• …perhaps roused by the shrieks of the children, a band of parrots…tumbled frantically in the still, sizzling air…
• The children…felt released…tumbling, shoving, pushing against each other, frantic to start.
• The business of the children’s day which is – play.
• The motherly Mira intervened…firmly pulling and pushing till a kind of vague circle was formed.
• ‘You’re dead,’ he said with satisfaction, licking the beads of perspiration off his upper lip, and then stalked off in search of worthier prey…
• Trampling delicate ferns underfoot as he did so.
• Snarling, he bent to pick up a stick and went off, whacking it against the garage and shed walls as if to beat out his prey.
• …a poor, ruined and conquered city.
• …a dark and depressing mortuary of defunct household goods…
• …the shed smelt of rats, ant hills, dust and spider webs. Also of less definable, less recognizable horrors.
• What might there not be to touch him and feel him as he stood there…
• It was an insect…exploring him.
• He…wondered how many more creatures were watching him, waiting to reach out and touch him, the stranger.
• …seething with such... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Games at Twilight. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Games-At-Twilight-773304.html
"Games at Twilight" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Games-At-Twilight-773304.html>.
"Games at Twilight." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Games-At-Twilight-773304.html.