Gallstones are precipitated bile components in the gallbladder and bile ducts. Gallstones and gallbladder disorders are common, affecting about one million Americans per year. Gallstones affect twice as many women as men. The stones arise in the gallbladder when the bile composition changes or when the gallbladder muscle activity reduces, as it may during pregnancy, use of oral contraceptives, diabetes mellitus, obesity, cirrhosis, and pancreatitis. The stones consist principally of cholesterol, bilirubin, and calcium when in excess. You may have gallstones or biliary calculi and have no symptoms. Lifestyle changes
A diet, that is high in animal fats and low in fiber, prevents the absorption of bile acids by the liver, causing the formation of gallstones. Here is a list of foods that should be avoided to prevent gallstones: * All animal fats such as beef, pork, butter and lard.
* Dairy products such as whole milk, soft and hard types of cheese. * Hydrogenated oils and fats like mayonnaise and margarine. * Refined carbohydrates such as rich cakes and pastries, white bread, beans, corn and nuts. * Deep fried foods such as chips.
* Black tea, coffee, alcohol.
* Carbonated beverages such as colas and sodas.
* Sweeteners, colorings and preservatives that is artificial. * Vegetables cabbages, cauliflower, and legumes.
* Fruit like oranges and grapefruit.
* Chocolates, candies, ice creams, desserts, and sweets.
Lifestyle changes hard to accomplish
I personally think that it would be hard to avoid all of the things listed to prevent gallstones. I think that a person can eliminate some and cut back on others. Lifestyle changes vs. medication
I would choose lifestyle changes myself over the use of medications. Because medications always have different side effects and can cause different things to happen to the body as a result.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document