1. Describe the primary text for your presentation. What type of text is it? What is its origin? Who created the text? (2 points)
Our text is 3 different songs from three different artists. The first one is “Get Up” by 50 Cent. The second one is “Grenade” by Bruno Mars. The third one is “La La La” by Snoop Lion.
2. Complete the following chart for your primary text. Make sure you answer all of the questions provided. (2 x 5 points)
Audience / purpose:
● Who does the text target?
The first two songs may be directed to a younger audience. The second song’s audience may especially be romantic or heart-broken people. The third song is written for everyone.
● What does the author wish to achieve through the text?
50 Cent tries to show off about his way of life. Bruno Mars tries to be romantic and depicts his love life. Snoop Lion tries to affect people.
Content / theme:
● How does the content of the text relate to the overarching themes of the unit (Language and Power, Language and Identity, Language and Gender)?
The texts relate to theme of Language and Culture. They might also be related to the theme of Language and Gender.
Tone / mood:
● What is the attitude about the subject of the text? How is this achieved? 50 Cent is more aggressive and bossy. Bruno Mars is emotional, questioning and dreamy.
● Describe the atmosphere of the text. How is this achieved?
In “Get Up”, you feel pressured and weaker as 50 Cent keeps giving orders and shows off. Bruno Mars makes you feel emotional as well. He depicts the contrast between the woman’s lack of interest to his romance.
● How does the author use language to convey a sentiment or message? ● What type of language is used (dialect, jargon, accent, diction)? ● How is imagery created?
● Does the text contain any of following: irony, sarcasm, rhetorical devices, figurative language, analogy,...