Free the Children

Topics: Zakat, Human rights, Islam Pages: 4 (948 words) Published: October 24, 2010
who founded this movement?
-Criag Kielburger is the founder of Free the Children, the world’s leading youth driven charity.

When and where was it founded?
-He started the organization in 1995, when he was only 12 years of age in Canada.

Why was it initiated?
-On his way to school, a newspaper headline caught his attention “battled Child Labor, Boy, 12, Murdered”. No one knew that this short, but powerful headline would catch the eye of a 12 year old, one April Morning.

Is it a Christian, from another religion base, or is it non-denominational? -It is a non-denominational.

How does the movement operate?
-60% of the funding comes from direct contributions and in kind of support generated by young people. The rest 40% comes from individuals, foundations, corporations and governments. Local contact Information: address, telephone, email address. -Free the Children Intl. Office

233 Carlton Road
Toronto, Ontario

Tel # 1.416.925.5894
Email id:

What issue of justice/peace does this movement address?
-This movement covers many of the justice/peace movements like, oRights and Responsibilities :
‘People have a fundamental right to life, food, shelter, health care, education and employment.’ oOption for the Poor:
‘The moral test of a society is how it treats its most vulnerable members.’ oGlobal Solidarity and Development:
‘Our responsibilities to each other cross national, racial, economical and ideological differences. We are called to work globally for justice.’ oDignity of Work and the Rights of Workers:
‘The economy exists to serve people, not the other way round.’ ‘workers have the right to a safe working conditions, the right to a safe working conditions, the right to participate in decisions that affect them in the workplace, and the right to security in case of sickness, disability, unemployment or old age.’

What responsibility do we have as Muslims to address...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Free the Children from Child Labour Essay
  • Essay about Free the Children
  • Free the Children Essay
  • crime free children of today crime free Essay
  • Free Essay
  • Free Essay
  • Free Essay
  • Free Will Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free