Foundations of Information Systems in Business
➢ Learning Objectives
1. Understand the concept of a system and how it relates to information systems
2. Explain why knowledge of information systems is important for business professionals
• Identify five areas of information systems knowledge needed
3. Give examples to illustrate how business applications of information systems can support a firm’s
• Business processes
• Managerial decision making
• Strategies for competitive advantage
4. Provide examples of information systems from your experiences with business organizations in the real world
5. Identify challenges that a business manager might face in managing the successful, ethical development and use of information technology
6. Provide examples of the components
of real world information systems
7. Become familiar with the myriad of career opportunities in information systems
➢ Foundation Concepts
• Why study information systems and information technology?
• Vital component of successful businesses
• Helps businesses expand and compete
• Improves efficiency and effectiveness of
• Facilitates managerial decision making and workgroup collaboration
➢ Case 1: Heidelberg, Honeywell, Eaton
• Smart services, smart products
• Using information technology to monitor, intervene, assist
• Machines relay information via the Internet
and wireless systems
• Optimized performance
• Minimized maintenance and repair costs
• Less unanticipated downtime
• Increased value justifies premium charge
✓ Case Study Questions
1. Why should manufacturing companies build smart products and provide smart services?
• What business benefits can be gained?
• Provide examples beyond those discussed in this case
2. What information technologies are used
by the companies in this case to build smart products and provide smart services?
• What other IT components might be used?
• Give examples of the capabilities they would provide
3. What are some limitations of a smart products and smart services strategy?
• Give several examples that a business might encounter
• Explain how it might overcome them
➢ What is a System?
• A set of interrelated components
• With a clearly defined boundary
• Working together
• To achieve a common set of objectives
➢ What is an Information System?
• An organized combination of…
• Hardware and software
• Communication networks
• Data resources
• Policies and procedures
• This system…
• Stores, retrieves, transforms, and disseminates information in an organization
➢ Information Technologies
• Information Systems
• All the components and resources necessary to deliver information and functions to the organization
• Could be paper based
• Information Technologies
• Hardware, software, networking, data management
• Our focus will be on computer-based information systems (CBIS)
➢ What Should Business Professionals Know?
➢ Fundamental Roles of IS in Business
➢ Trends in Information Systems
➢ What is E-Business?
• Using Internet technologies to empower…
• Business processes
• Electronic commerce
• Collaboration within a company
• Collaboration with customers, suppliers, and other business stakeholders
• In essence, an online exchange of value
➢ How E-Business is Being Used...