Topic: History of Football
General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To inform my audience of the history of football
II. American Football was game that started in college in the late 1800, from the 1950’s it rose to become the most watched sport on the US. III. Through my research and former high school football player Football is the dominate sport in all of the US and is now gaining popularity around the world.
I. Football was created by universities in 1874 and then gained popularity by the general public which led to the first professional game. A. Harvard University created football and Walter Camp is considered the father of modern football.
1. Harvard created based off rugby because many schools wouldn’t allow students to engage in aggressive physical contact.
2. Walter Camp adjusted the game by changing the rules and set forth the beginning of the football we know now
a. The teams now consisted of eleven players, and is played on a smaller field b. He also implemented the rule that offense has only three downs to gain five yards otherwise they surrender the ball, this changed in 1906 by adding 5 more yards and in 1912 a fourth down was added
B. In 1892 the first professional game of football is played
1. Latrobe YMCA played against Jeannette Athletic Club
A.William Heffelinger was the first professional player, he was paid $500
b. Football got a reputation as a high injury and high mortality sport
II. From the 1950’s football has been became the most popular sport in the U.S
A. In the 1950 professional football has become a major sport in the U.S
1. T.V made football become a major sport in American lives
2. Sports figures like Paul Hornung, Johnny...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document