Choose one of the following foodborne illnesses to complete this assignment:
* Clostridium perfringens
* Norovirus (formerly Norwalk virus)
* Hepatitis A
* Giardia or amoeba parasites
Write a 125- to 150-word response to each of the following questions:
* What is the infectious agent (pathogen) that causes this infectious disease? For example, the name of the bacteria, virus, or parasite. Salmonella comes from bacteria called salmonella. Salmonella has been around for over a hundred years and there are many cases reported every year due to people not taking proper precautions to protect themselves from it.
* How is this infectious agent transmitted through food or water?
One of the most common ways salmonella is transmitted is with raw or under cooked food (usually poultry).Some examples of things that could carry salmonella are: eggs, chicken, turkey and raw unpasteurized milk. Many people may consume raw egg without even knowing. Some products like salad dressing, cake frosting and mayo contain uncooked egg that can contain salmonella. Salmonella can also be transmitted just by handling raw meat or eggs. And it is also a good idea to wash hands after touching some animals that carry it as well such as : baby chicks, birds and reptiles. Infants can get salmonella more easily than adults and extra care should be taken when preparing their food or having to handle raw food and an infant at the same time.
* What is an example of a real life outbreak of this foodborne illness in the United States? There was a recent outbreak of salmonella in 34 states due to ground turkey The number of ill persons identified in each state is as follows: Alabama (1), Arkansas (1), Arizona (3), California (6), Colorado (4), Connecticut (1), Georgia (2), Illinois (16), Indiana (1), Iowa (2), Kansas (3), Kentucky (2), Louisiana (1), Massachusetts (3), Maryland (1), Michigan (12), Minnesota (2),...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document