Food safety management procedures
Guests choose a restaurant because they trust and believe that the establishment shall always fulfill their demands and expectations both the expressed and unexpressed expectations. They trust that the food cooked in the restaurant is safe to eat and will not make them sick after eating. Providing customers with safe food is not only important for the success of a business but also mandatory by law.
A Food safety Management Program which is intended to prevent food poisoning by following safe food preparation practices; this involves taking measures necessary to ensure the safety and wholesomeness of food during purchasing, receiving, storing, cooking, transporting, reheating and service. A Food safety Management Program is a program developed to control food safety problems and ensure that the food served is safe to eat. It is based upon the principles of HACCP. It involves looking at the food preparation and service operation step by step from the selection of ingredients right through to the service of the food to the customer. By carefully analyzing each step of the food preparation and service operation anything that may affect the safety of the food is identified and controlled. Food safety Management Program helps in ensuring that food is safe at all times and the risk of food poisoning is minimized / prevented
Why is Food safety Management Program important?
The following are the costs resulting from food poisoning:
• Closure of food premises by local authority.
• Loss of business due to negative publicity or from guests due to poor standards, food poisoning outbreaks and even deaths. The reputation of the establishment is tarnished. • Fines and costs of legal action taken because of not following hygiene legislations or because of sale of food that is unsafe for consumption. Court cases and law suits taken by food poisoning sufferers or those aggrieved by injury from foreign bodies in food. • Low employee morale and high staff turnover, as the working conditions are of poor standards. • Guest’s complaints in regards to food will increase.
• Loss of food, food shall have to be thrown out as it has become unsafe for consumption, thereby increasing costs and reducing profitability. • Employees will loose their jobs because of closure of the business or because they have become long term carriers of food poisoning organisms especially salmonella.
The benefits of Food safety Management Program are as follows: • Delighted guests.
• Enhanced reputation as an establishment where food is produced in a hygienic environment and is safe for consumption. • Increase in business.
• Compliance with food safety regulations.
• Less food wastage and increased shelf life, thereby reduction in food costs and increase in profitability. • Higher employee morale as they know that they are working in a clean, safe and hygienic environment.
Food safety is very important as stated above. It is a crime punishable by Law to serve food that is unfit for consumption.
Food Safety and the Law:
The constant increase in government regulations has made food safety a critical issue for every organization, and a vital responsibility of management. Widespread media attention has also increased public awareness of food crises and scares, public concern over the effects of major food safety, product recall and food poisoning. Assuring food safety throughout the chain minimizes the risk of contaminated food entering a establishment. The requirements of food safety legislation are increasingly directed at the implementation of the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) within food manufacturing establishments. To comply with food safety requirements it is important to incorporate a system that identifies the food safety hazards and the important controls associated with menu items, the training of food handlers,...