Under the Prevention of Food Adulterant Act, an Adulterant is any material which be employed for the purposes of adulteration.
Any article of food is adulterated if :
1. If any inferior or cheaper substance has been substituted wholly or in part,
2. If any constituent of the article ahs been wholly or in part abstracted
3. If the article has been prepared, packed or kept under insanitary conditions
4. If the article consists in part filthy, rotten, decomposed or diseased animal or vegetable or is infested with insects
5. If the article is obtained from diseased animal
6. If the article contains any poisonous ingredient
7. If the article has unprescribed colouring substance or the colouring substance is in excess of the prescribed limits.
8. If the article contains any prohibited or excessive preservatives.
9. If the quality nor purity of the article falls below prescribed standard
How to Test for Food Adulteration?
Food Article Adulterant Simple Method for Detecting the Adulterant
Put a drop of milk on polished vertical surface. The drop of pure milk either stops or flows slowly leaving a white trail behind it. Whereas milk adulterated with water will flow immediately without leaving a mark.
Take 5 ml of milk in a test tube and add 2 drops of bromothymol blue soln. Development of blue colour after 10 minutes indicates presence of urea.
Mustard Seeds Argemone Seeds Argemone seeds have rough surface and mustard seeds on pressing is yellow inside while argemone seed is white.
Ice Cream Washing Powder Put some lemon juice, bubbles are observed on the presence of washing powder
Sugar Chalk Dissolve sugar in a glass of water, chalk will settle down at the bottom, similarly for salt
Silver Foil Aluminium Foil On ignition genuine silver foil burns away completely leaving glistening white spherical ball of the same mass while aluminum foil is reduced to ashes of black Grey colour.
Honey Water A... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). Food Adulteration in India and Law Related to It.. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Food-Adulteration-In-India-And-Law-906630.html
"Food Adulteration in India and Law Related to It." StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Food-Adulteration-In-India-And-Law-906630.html>.
"Food Adulteration in India and Law Related to It.." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Food-Adulteration-In-India-And-Law-906630.html.