* Food is any substance that can be consumed, including liquid drinks. Food is the main source of energy and of nutrition for animals, and is usually of animal or plant origin.
WHAT IS ADULTERATION?
* “Adulteration” according to Chambers 21st Century Dictionary (1996) means "debasing something or rendering it impure by mixing it with something inferior or harmful." WHAT IS FOOD ADULTERATION?
* Food adulteration is the act of adding or mixing something inferior, harmful, useless, and unnecessary substances to food. * The adulteration of food means the addition of something that isn't food into a food product, in order to be able to get more procuct to sell at less cost. A recent example was the addition of melamine into milk, by a factory in China. The melamine resembled milk protein closely enough that the milk was able to pass inspection, yet it also proved to be toxic, causing a number of deaths. Adding sawdust to ground meat would be another example.
WHAT IS ADULTERATED FOOD?
An article of food shall be deemed to be adulterated - -
* If the article sold by a vendor is not of the nature, substance or quality demanded by the purchaser or which it purports to be; * If the article contains any substance affecting its quality or of it is so processed as to injuriously affect its nature, substance or quality; * If any inferior or cheaper substance has been substituted wholly or partly for the article, or any constituent of the article has been wholly or partly abstracted from it, so as to affecting its quality or of it is so processed as to injuriously affect its nature, substance or quality; * If the article had been prepared, packed or kept under insanitary conditions whereby it has become contaminated or injurious to health; * If the article consists wholly or in part of any filthy, putrid, disgusting, rotten, decomposed or diseased animal or vegetable substance or being insect-infested, or is otherwise unfit for human consumption; * If the article is obtained from a diseased animal;
* If the article contains any poisonous or other ingredient which is injurious to health; * If the container of the article is composed of any poisonous or deleterious substance which renders its contents injurious to health; * If the article contains any prohibited colouring matter or preservative, or any permitted colouring matter or preservative in excess of the prescribed limits; * If the quality or purity of the article falls below the prescribed standard, or its constituents are present in proportions other standard, or its constituents are present in proportions other than those prescribed, whether or not rendering it injurious to health. * If the article is date- expired
THE REASONS FOR WIDESPREAD ADULTERATION OF FOOD AND FOODSTUFF IN BANGLADESH * Adulteration of milk and milk products
* Adulteration of fish
* Adulteration of bottled water
* Adulteration of bakery products
* Adulteration of edible oil
* Adulteration of spices and condiments
* Harmful chemicals being used to ripen fruits and fresh vegetables to make it attractive. * Harmful colour is used in brightening the food items
* Bakeries and confectioneries in the city are still using burnt lubricants and unsafe chemicals in chanachur and bread, and also mixing rotten products with good ones. * Unscrupulous people apply chemicals to ripen pineapple, banana, papaya, lemon and others fruits. They also use the chemical to keep the fruits fresh. * According to food chemists, doctors and agriculturists, fruits and vegetables become poisonous and consumption of such fruit and vegetable is harmful to health, especially for children. (Daily Star, December 8, 2004). * Most of the iftar items offered by traditional Ramadan food market are somehow coloured to attract the buyers. The usual, though almost obligatory, items like piaju, beguni and...