By Halie Endicott
July 1, 1789 - March 4, 1797
6 years 4 months
While Washington was president in…..
* 1789 the Judiciary Act specified number of Federal Courts and judges. * 1790 the Supreme Court met for the first time, Rhode Island ratifies the constitution and becomes the 13th state. * 1791 the Bank Act established a national banking system, and the Bill of Rights ratified and took effect, Vermont becomes 14th state. * 1792 Post office established as separate entity, New York Stock exchange organized. * 1793 war breaks out between Britain and France, U.S. declares neutrality. * 1794 Whiskey Rebellion.
* 1795 British troops forced to withdrawal from U.S.
* 1796 Washington posed for the portrait that is now on the dollar bill. Other facts…
* He was the only president elected unanimously by the Electoral College, only president to not live in Washington DC at all during his office. * Owned plantation, owned slaves and did not let all of them go, some say he raped some of his slaves, married to Martha Dandridge Custis. * He was the wealthiest man in America at the time of his election.
March 4, 1797 - March 4, 1801
While Adams was president in….
* 1797 the XYZ Affair almost brought France and the U.S. to war. * 1798 the federalists support the highly unpopular Alien and Sedition Acts that were later repealed, Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. * 1799 Fries’ Rebellion, Logan Act.
* 1800 the U.S. capital moved from Philadelphia to Washington D.C., Thomas Jefferson defeated Adams, moved into the White House in November, founded Library of Congress. Other Facts…
* Some say his stubbornness, aloofness, and refusal to enter directly into political conflict cost him his reelection and made him politically isolated. * Even his own cabinet opposed his policies much of the time, he also refused to work closely...