By Halie Endicott
July 1, 1789 - March 4, 1797
6 years 4 months
While Washington was president in…..
* 1789 the Judiciary Act specified number of Federal Courts and judges. * 1790 the Supreme Court met for the first time, Rhode Island ratifies the constitution and becomes the 13th state. * 1791 the Bank Act established a national banking system, and the Bill of Rights ratified and took effect, Vermont becomes 14th state. * 1792 Post office established as separate entity, New York Stock exchange organized. * 1793 war breaks out between Britain and France, U.S. declares neutrality. * 1794 Whiskey Rebellion.
* 1795 British troops forced to withdrawal from U.S.
* 1796 Washington posed for the portrait that is now on the dollar bill. Other facts…
* He was the only president elected unanimously by the Electoral College, only president to not live in Washington DC at all during his office. * Owned plantation, owned slaves and did not let all of them go, some say he raped some of his slaves, married to Martha Dandridge Custis. * He was the wealthiest man in America at the time of his election.
March 4, 1797 - March 4, 1801
While Adams was president in….
* 1797 the XYZ Affair almost brought France and the U.S. to war. * 1798 the federalists support the highly unpopular Alien and Sedition Acts that were later repealed, Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. * 1799 Fries’ Rebellion, Logan Act.
* 1800 the U.S. capital moved from Philadelphia to Washington D.C., Thomas Jefferson defeated Adams, moved into the White House in November, founded Library of Congress. Other Facts…
* Some say his stubbornness, aloofness, and refusal to enter directly into political conflict cost him his reelection and made him politically isolated. * Even his own cabinet opposed his policies much of the time, he also refused to work closely with the legislature. * Adam’s were the first residents of the White House.
* One of only three presidents not to attend the inauguration of his successor, he was disappointed in losing to Jefferson and grieving his son’s death. * Jefferson and Adams were the only presidents to sign the declaration of Independence and they both died on its 50th anniversary.
March 4, 1801 - March 4, 1809
While Jefferson was president in…
* 1803 congressed ruled Marbury vs. Madison, the Louisiana Territory Purchased. * 1804 Jefferson reelected, Lewis and Clark began northwest exploration, Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton, 12th amendment ratified, New Jersey abolishes slavery. * 1807 slave importation from Africa outlawed yet many still were, and Embargo Act as of December 22. * 1809 Non-Intercourse Act, March 1, repeals the Embargo Act, which didn't work. Other Facts…
* His presidency initiated the “Virginia Dynasty.”
* Accused Aaron Burr of committing treason.
* Opposed a strong central government.
* Still referred to as one of the best presidents.
* First president to be inaugurated in Washington D.C.
* About 6,000 books from Jefferson’s library purchased to start Library of Congress. * Jefferson is credited with many inventions such as the swivel chair, the lazy susan, pedometer and others.
March 4, 1809 - March 4, 1817
While Madison was president in…
* 1811 Madison allowed 20 year bank charter to expire, William Henry Harrison fought the Indians near Indianapolis. * 1812 war declared on England after they repeatedly attacked U.S. ships sailing to France, Madison reelected. * 1814 the city of Washington captured and burned, Frances key Scott observed the flag over Ft. McHenry inspiring “The Star Spangled Banner,” Treaty of Ghent ended War of 1812 even though fighting continued. * 1815 Andrew Jackson defeated British at New Orleans.
* 1816 Second Bank...