Republic of the PhilippinesCongress of the Philippines
Fourteenth CongressSecond Regular Session
Begun and held in Metro Manila, on Monday, the twenty-eight day of July, two thousand eight. Republic Act No. 9514
(Approved by PGMA on December 19, 2008)
AN ACT ESTABLISHING A COMPREHENSIVE FIRE CODE OF THE PHILIPPINES, REPEALINGPRESIDENTIAL DECREE NO. 1185 AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled: :
This Act shall be known as the
Revised Fire Code of the Philippines of 2008
It is the policy of the State to ensure public safety and promote economic developmentthrough the prevention and suppression of all kinds of destructive fires and promote theprofessionalization of the fire service as a profession. Towards this end, the State shall enforce alllaws, rules and regulations to ensure adherence to standard fire prevention and safety measures, andpromote accountability for fire safety in the fire protection service and prevention service. Section 3.
Definition of Terms.
- As used in this Fire Code, the following words and phrases shallmean and be construed as indicated: Abatement
- Any act that would remove or neutralize a fire hazard. Administrator
- Any person who acts as agent of the owner and manages the useof a building for him. Blasting Agent
- Any material or mixture consisting of a fuel and oxidizer used toset off explosives. Cellulose Nitrate or Nitro Cellulose
- A highly combustible and explosive compound produced by thereaction of nitric acid with a cellulose material. Cellulose Nitrate Plastic
(Pyroxylin) - Any plastic substance, materials or compound having cellulosenitrate (nitro cellulose) as base. Combustible, Flammableor Inflammable
- Descriptive of materials that are easily set on fire. Combustible Fiber
- Any readily ignitable and free burning fiber such as cotton,oakum, rags, waste cloth, waste paper, kapok, hay, straw,Spanish moss, excelsior and other similar materials commonlyused in commerce. Combustible Liquid
- Any liquid having a flash point at or above 37.8_C (100_F). Corrosive Liquid
- Any liquid which causes fire when in contact with organic matter or with certain chemicals. Curtain Board
- A vertical panel of non-combustible or fire resistive materialsattached to and extending below the bottom chord of the roof trusses, to divide the underside of the roof into separatecompartments so that heat and smoke will be directed upwards toa roof vent. Cryogenic
- Descriptive of any material which by its nature or as a result of itsreaction with other elements produces a rapid drop in temperatureof the immediate surroundings.
- A normally open device installed inside an air duct system whichautomatically closes to restrict the passage of smoke or fire. Distillation
- The process of first raising the temperature in separate the morevolatile from the less volatile parts and then cooling andcondensing the resulting vapor so as to produce a nearly purifiedsubstance. Duct System
- A continuous passageway for the transmission of air. Dust
- A finely powdered substance which, when mixed with air in theproper proportion and ignited will cause an explosion. Electrical Arc
- An extremely hot luminous bridge formed by passage of anelectric current across a space between two conductors or terminals due to the incandescence of the conducting vapor. Ember
- A hot piece or lump that remains after a material has partiallyburned, and is still oxidizing without the manifestation of flames. Finishes
- Materials used as final coating of a surface for ornamental or protective purposes. Fire
- The active principle of burning, characterized by the heat and lightof combustion. Fire Trap
- A building unsafe in case of fire because it will burn easily or because it lacks adequate exits or fire escapes. Fire Alarm
- Any visual or audible...