The exam will be 80 questions, multiple choice. You may use a calculator, however, CELL PHONE USE IS PROHIBITED. Please bring a #2 pencil.
Study aids: This sheet, lecture notes, textbook. Learn and be able to apply concepts; do NOT simply memorize facts. Questions? Come to office hours, ask your TA, post to the discussion board on Compass.
_What is the difference between satellites and radar?
1. Satellites: View clouds from space
a. Radar: View precipitation from ground
_How is wind direction defined?
1. Wind Direction: Direction FROM which the wind is blowing
a. i.e. A north wind blows from the north (toward the south)
b. Stick on weather map identifies wind direction
_How do winds blow about high and low pressure systems in the Northern Hemisphere?
1. Low pressure: counter-clockwise and inward (air converges and rises leading to clouds, rain)
a. High pressure: Clockwise and outward (sinking air leads to clear skies)
_What is pressure and how does in change with height?
1. Pressure: Force/Area; molecules in given area
a. it always DECREASES with height
_What is an inversion?
1. Inversion: Layer in which the temperature increases with height
_What is latent heat?
1. Latent heat: The energy absorbed or released during a phase change
a. “Hidden” energy
· _What is advection?
a. Advection: Transfer of heat (or moisture) through horizontal movements of air
_What is saturation? What mathematical relationships are true at saturation?
1. Saturation: an atmospheric condition where level of water vapor is the maximum possible at the existing temp and pressure; equal rates of evaporation and condensation
a. Air is not a “sponge”- air is NOT so “full of water” that there is no room for anything else; molecules very far apart
b. Most of an air molecule is empty space
_What is relative humidity? How can it... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 01). Final Study Guide. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Final-Study-Guide-902751.html
"Final Study Guide" StudyMode.com. 01 2012. 01 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Final-Study-Guide-902751.html>.
"Final Study Guide." StudyMode.com. 01, 2012. Accessed 01, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Final-Study-Guide-902751.html.