A YorkCard or acceptable photo identification is required as your identification for this examination. If you do not have identification documents, you will be required to personally bring these to your instructor prior to your grades for this examination being released, or prior to your examination being returned to you.
Instructions: NO AIDS. This is a closed book examination. You may use a silent mathematics calculator with no text functions. Please place all other materials (cell phones, PDAs, bags or cases) on the floor, out of reach. You are required to both sign in and sign out with your Photo ID and student card (or YorkCard) for this examination.
Please write all of your case answers IN INK in the lined spaces in this paper. DO NOT USE WHITE-OUT. Answers written in pencil or containing white-out will NOT be accepted for re-appraisal.
This examination is worth 40% of your grade.
Your paper will be handed out in three sections. Part A is comprised of questions 1 and 2. Part B is comprised of question 3 and will be distributed 60 minutes from the start of the exam. Part C which comprises question 4 will be distributed 120 minutes after the start of the exam.
For Instructor Use Only Grade Achieved | Question Number| Marks| Minutes| Section | / | 1| 12| 30| A55 minutes|
/| 2| 9| 25| |
/ | 3| 28| 70| B|
/| 4| 21| 55| C|
/ 70| Total| 70| 180| |
Instructions that pertain to a potential examination disruption: Please immediately identify your exam and the pages are in an organized fashion:
1. Write your name and student number at the top of each part of the examination as you receive it. 2. Be sure to also immediately fill in your answers (after writing in your name and identifiers) for each answer that you have completed. In the event of a disruption (fire alarm or other disruption) where we are required to leave the room, we will be doing an orderly evacuation and you will be required to hand in your examination and answers prior to leaving the room. Then, after any disruption, you will not have access to handed in portions again.
4515 Examination room evacuation procedures
SAFETY FIRST, EXAMINATION SECOND!
In the event of a need to evacuate the examination room;
1. Stay silent, cell phones and non-examination papers out of reach. Quietly put on your outerwear and gather your possessions.
2. PLACE YOUR EXAMINATION MATERIALS IN THE BOX AT THE FRONT OF THE ROOM OR AS DIRECTED BY YOUR INSTRUCTOR or TEACHING ASSISTANT. YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THESE MATERIALS AGAIN.
3. Take all garbage, coffee cups, and newspapers in your immediate area and place them in the appropriate containers on the way out.
4. Follow an invigilator outside and remain calm, stay with your instructors and invigilators.
5. When the alarm is over, return to your examination room. The examination will continue with Part B/C of the examination under examination conditions.
QUESTION 1 (12 marks / 30 minutes)
You are the audit senior at St. James Hospital. Saint James has an excellent reputation, part of which is attributable to its research department. The research department is affiliated with a well-known university and employs several renowned scientists. The Hospital’s board has requested that the hospital’s internal auditors perform an audit to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the department’s project management process. The department has never been audited before.
Here is the background on the department:
* The research department is expected to generate revenue in excess of its costs. * The research department operates on a project basis. The department consists of a pool of scientists and technicians who can be called upon to participate in a given project. Scientists and technicians are assigned based upon their skills...