INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY
❑ Comes from two Greek words:
◦ Psyche = soul
◦ Logos = study
◦ Psychology = study of the soul (later of the mind
❑ Psychology = scientific study of behavior and mental processes
❑ Scientific = observation, description and experimental investigation to gather information.
❑ Child of two parents
◦ Philosophy – pursuit of wisdom through logical reasoning
◦ Physiology – study of vital life processes of an organism, such as respiration, digestion and reproduction.
❑ HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
❑ Psychology reaches back to ancient times which philosophers and religious leaders were asking questions about human nature and trying to explain human behavior.
◦ Stanley Hall l awarded first Ph.D. in psychology.
← first president of American psychological association.
◦ William James offered first course in experimental psychology at Harvard university
← Founder of functionalism
← The first great American psychologist
← Wilhelm Wundt founded first laboratory for psychological research at Leipzig, Germany.
◦ Founder of structuralism
◦ Father of experimental psychology.
◦ Beverly Inez Prosser first black woman to earn Ph.D. in psychology
◦ Francis Sumner – first American (black) to earn Ph.D. in psychology
◦ Aristotle – one of the earliest writers to devote attention to psychology.
← father of psychology
← Hippocrates – the father of medicine
← – argues for four temperaments of personality.
◦ Rene Descartes – father of reflex action
◦ Describes animal spirits
◦ St. Augustine – father of introspection
← John Locke – knowledge comes through experiences and interactions with the world.
← Mind is a blank slate, or a tabula rasa
← B. F.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Files. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Files-1415119.html
"Files" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Files-1415119.html>.
"Files." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Files-1415119.html.