May 16, 2011
Text Practice Quiz Questions
1. Describe the path a molecule of water might follow through the hydrologic cycle from the ocean to land and then back again.
The water evaporates from all over the world but let’s say it is evaporates from the oceans to form clouds that are moved over land by many of winds. The rainfall then brings it to earth where it will return to oceans by creeks to river, and some lakes then back to the ocean.
5. Describe at least one example of the environmental costs of water diversion from rivers to farms or cities.
There can be so many different consequences from river diversion, downstream river discharge is reduced, the evaporation in the overall irrigation region is increased, and the level of water table rises these are just a few.
The effects of reduced downstream river discharge could be reduced flooding, disappearance of wetlands and flood forest, reduced availability of potable water, and reduced shipping routes.
6. Explain the difference between point and nonpoint pollution. Which is harder to control? Why?
Point pollution is a pollution that comes form one specific site. Nonpoint pollution is a pollution that comes from many different sources rather that one. I would have to say that nonpoint would be harder to control because of it coming from many different sites instead of from one place.
1. What changes might occur in the hydrologic cycle if our climate were to warm or cool significantly?
I think that if the climate get warmer the ground will the harder and harder as time goes, then on the same day or another could be really bad storms with warmer air it is causing stronger winds and storms, with lots of flashfloods.
The cooler the climate there will be more run off less infiltration and soil will be very hard.
6. Under what conditions might sediment in water or cultural eutrophication be beneficial? How should we balance... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 05). Fhdsk. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Fhdsk-704157.html
"Fhdsk" StudyMode.com. 05 2011. 05 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Fhdsk-704157.html>.
"Fhdsk." StudyMode.com. 05, 2011. Accessed 05, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Fhdsk-704157.html.