Research Proposal (Fast Food Industry)
To study the attitude towards consumption of healthy food within the fast food industry Background
We are a marketing research team of a fast food chain store. With increasing awareness about healthy food among the masses and with consumer preferences changing towards healthy food, we intend to launch a health food segment to cater to this need of the customers. We are also concerned about the pricing of the product that whether it should be priced same as that of normal fast food or the customers would be willing to pay a premium for healthy food. But before launching that product we want to know that “Is it worth it to our fast food restaurant to market healthy food”. To answer this management decision problem, we intend to conduct a marketing research within the region of West Delhi. Introduction
* What is fast food?
Definition1. Fast food have been defined by Bender and Bender (1995) as a “general term used for a limited menu of foods that lend themselves to production-line techniques; suppliers tend to specialize in products such as hamburgers, pizzas, chicken, or sandwiches”. Definition2. In Data Monitor’s (2005) survey the fast food market is defined as the sale of food and drinks for immediate consumption either on the premises or in designated eating areas shared with other foodservice operators, or for consumption elsewhere. Definition3. As per “the free dictionary” fast food is “inexpensive food, such as hamburgers and fried chicken, prepared and served quickly”. Definition4.According to Merriam-Webster online dictionary fast food is “designed for ready availability, use, or consumption and with little consideration given to quality or significance * Why fast food?
* Brief history of fast food industry in India
* Fast food industry trend, facts and figures, key players in India * According to a study by the Tata Strategic Management Group, the size of the Indian health-and-wellness food market will rise from an estimated Rs101.5bn in 2010 to Rs550bn by 2015, implying annual growth of 35-37%.
* Why healthy food?
Health food is preferred by people mostly because of the various health issues associated with eating fast food: * Trans Fats which is commonly found in fast food have a negative effect on health * The fast food consumption increase calorie intake, promote weight gain, and elevates risk for diabetes. * Obesity is also linked to various other diseases
* What is Healthy food?
Definition1: As per “the free dictionary” healthy food is “Any natural or prepared food popularly believed to promote good health” Definition2:
* Food with low content of edible oil used.
* Lower fat, lower cholesterol and lower sodium.
H&W products in India could be classified into three dominant categories, i.e. Better-for-You(BFY), Functional / Fortified, and Natural categories.
The main aim of our research is to derive indications that may contribute to better strategic and tactical marketing decisions. The overall objective of the study is “To study the attitude towards consumption of healthy food within the fast food industry” this has been divided into following sub-objectives: 1) To study the consumption pattern towards fast food and health/wellness food. * What all sort of fast food people prefer, at what time, at what places they go, * What is the driving force behind it, e.g. taste, spiciness, ease , price, time factor etc. *
Most popular fast food
2) To study the factors that influence the consumers to go for healthy food * Sickness
3) To study the consumer perception about healthy food vis a vis normal fast food w.r.t. two factors i.e. taste and price * What does consumer think about healthy food e.g. taste , price
4) To identify the possibility/impact of nutritional value of fast foods...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document