• Farmers' demands were not taken into account while preparing the relief package. Neither were civil society organisations, local government bodies, panchayats etc. consulted.
• The relief packages were mostly amalgamations of existing schemes. Apart from the farmer helpline and the direct financial assistance, there was scarcely anything new being offered. Pumping extra funds into additional schemes shows that no new idea was applied to solve a situation where existing measures had obviously failed.
• The farmer helpline did not give any substantial help to farmers except in Karnataka.
• The basis for selection of beneficiaries under the assistance scheme was not well-defined. Also, type of assistance to be given led to problems like a farmer needing a pair of bullocks getting a pump set and vice versa (or a farmer who has no access to water sources being given pump sets)
• Awareness regarding the package was also fairly low.
Research by various investigators like Raj Patel, Nagraj, Meeta and Rajivlochan, identified a variety of causes. India was transforming rapidly into a primarily urban, industrial society with industry as its main source of income; the government and society had begun to be unconcerned about the condition of the countryside; moreover, a downturn in the urban economy was pushing a large number of distressed non-farmers to try their hand at cultivation; the farmer was also caught in a Scissors Crisis; in the absence of any responsible counselling either from the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). Farmer Suicide. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Farmer-Suicide-1296653.html
"Farmer Suicide" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Farmer-Suicide-1296653.html>.
- MLA 7
"Farmer Suicide." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Farmer-Suicide-1296653.html>.
"Farmer Suicide." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Farmer-Suicide-1296653.html.