(Risk factors for surgical site infection after cardiac surgery: The role of endogenous flora)
I. Clinical Question
▪ Is endogenous flora, smoking and BMI has significant role in surgical site infection after cardiac surgery?
II. Citation / Title of the Article
▪ Risk factors for surgical site infection after cardiac surgery: The role of endogenous flora, Janet P. Haas, Ann M. Evans, Karen E. Preston and Elaine L. Larson , Heart and Lung 2005 March/April; Vol.34 No. 2: 108-114
III. Characteristics of the Study
a) Patients Included (Population and Sample)
▪ 246 patients underwent cardiac surgery. All were included in the analysis of surgical risk factors but only 144 (60%) had perioperative nares cultures obtained and because of that only those patients with nares cultures available were included in the analysis of nasal carriage of staphylococcus spp. The sample consisted of all patients who underwent cardiac surgery at the study institution between April 1999 and June 1999.
b) Interventions Compared
▪ Usually before the surgery was done the patients did not receive instruction to bathe antimicrobial agent before arrival at the hospital. Inpatients were not given preoperative antimicrobial baths or showers. The researchers wants to know if those interventions done above was best in decreasing the risk of acquiring SSI or does the patient needs to be bathe first in antimicrobial agent or they should be given preoperative baths or shower before the surgery. They also wants to find out if the use of mupirocin calcium ointment, which is a cream that is applied intranasally twice daily for 5 days is effective against S.aureus and CNS or not.
c) Outcomes Monitored
▪ The researcher wants to found out if endogenous flora, specifically the S. aureus was a risk factor of having Surgical Site Infection after... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 09). Factors for Surgical Site Infection After Cardiac Surgery: the Role of Endogenous Flora. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Factors-For-Surgical-Site-Infection-After-398174.html
"Factors for Surgical Site Infection After Cardiac Surgery: the Role of Endogenous Flora" StudyMode.com. 09 2010. 09 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Factors-For-Surgical-Site-Infection-After-398174.html>.
"Factors for Surgical Site Infection After Cardiac Surgery: the Role of Endogenous Flora." StudyMode.com. 09, 2010. Accessed 09, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Factors-For-Surgical-Site-Infection-After-398174.html.