1) Chapter 5: "He said he was trying to get Miss Maudie's goat... (p. 48). (To get one's goat is to make a person disgusted or angry.)
2) Chapter 5: "True enough, she had an acid tongue in her head... (p. 49)." (Acid is very bitter in taste. Someone with an acid tongue is someone who tends to speak bitterly or sharply.)
3) Chapter 7: on the days he carried the watch, Jem walked on eggs (p. 65)."(To walk on eggs is to walk very carefully.)
4) Chapter 9: "I drew a bead on him (p. 81)." (To draw a bead on someone is to aim at or focus on that person.)
5) Chapter 9: ‘I merely bowed to the inevitable (p. 84).' (An event or occurrence that is inevitable is one that cannot be stopped from occurring. To bow to the inevitable is to realize this fact and resist fighting it. Atticus realizes that, sooner or later, Scout and Jem would be given guns and be taught how to shoot, so he doesn't try to fight it.)
6) Chapter 9: "She hurt my feelings and set my teeth permanently on edge… (p. 86)." (To set one's teeth on edge is to annoy someone or make them feel nervous the way in which Aunt Alexandra tends to annoy Scout)
7) Chapter 10:"He was nearly blind in his left eye, and said left eyes were the tribal curse of the Finches (p. 94)." (a family curse or, more aptly, an affliction shared by members of a family. Apparently, many members of the Finch family have had problems with their left eyes.)
8) Chapter 10: "I would fight anyone from a third cousin upwards tooth and nail (p. 94)." (To fight someone tooth and nail is to fight that person as fiercely as possible (literally with teeth and fingernails if necessary).
9) Chapter 11: He had a naturally tranquil disposition and a slow fuse (p. 107)." (A person with a slow fuse is someone who is not easily upset or angered.
10) Chapter 16: 'Mr. Cunningham's basically a good man,' he said, 'he just has blind spots along with the rest of us (p. 159).' “(A prejudice or area of ignorance that...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document