What are extenuating circumstances?
You can apply for “Extenuating Circumstances if there have been serious and exceptional factors outside your control which have adversely affected your studies. These factors may have prevented you from attending exams or other assessments or caused you to miss assessment deadline dates. Examples are illness, accidents or serious family problems. Everyday occurrences such as colds or existing conditions such as Hay Fever will not qualify unless the effects are unusually severe. You are advised to read the complete extenuating circumstances guidance notes.
How do I apply?
You can apply for extenuating circumstances in two ways. Either through myUCLan (the online submission system) or by collecting an extenuating circumstances envelope from the ‘i’, the Student Union Advice Centre or your School Office. Extenuating Circumstances will only be considered if there is evidence to support them and they are submitted within the published deadlines.
How do I use myUCLan (the online system)?
The online process is very simple to use, but if you have any difficulties or questions, please do not hesitate to go to the ‘i’ or your School Office, who will be happy to walk through the process with you.
Access the new online system
Add a new extenuating circumstances submission
Amend an extenuating circumstances submission
Upload supporting documents e.g. sick notes
Delete an extenuating circumstances submission
Check on progress (to see what decision was agreed by the Assessment Board)
Access the new myUCLan Extenuating Circumstances pages
1. Click on this link to myUCLan (you can also access it through the university’s web page https://my.uclan.ac.uk/BANP/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin
3. Click on the ‘Student Services’ tab. If you have more than one programme of study, select the correct one by clicking on the ‘select programme registration’ link
4. Now click the ‘Extenuating Circumstances’ link.
5. You will see the extenuating circumstances welcome page
Submit a new extenuating circumstance
1. Read the text on the page. On the welcome page click ‘Submit new Extenuating Circumstances Incident’
2. The following information will be displayed. Please read the text to ensure you understand the difference between extenuating circumstances and extension requests before continuing any further.
3. If you are happy that you need to submit an extenuating circumstance, click ‘continue with submission’. The following screen will appear…
4. If you are studying on more than one programme at once make sure you have selected the correct programme. If not click on the link (in purple above) to change your programme.
5. Check that your e-mail address is correct. If it is not, please let your School office know immediately as confirmations will be sent to this e-mail address.
6. Check the deadline dates for submitting extenuating circumstances – are you within these dates? If not, please talk to your School Office or Programme Leader before continuing.
The bottom half of the page allows you to enter all the necessary details of your extenuating circumstances and which modules have been affected.
7. Enter the date when your extenuating circumstances started and finished
8. Decide whether you want the authorised members of the Assessment Board to consider your extenuating circumstances or just the Chair of the Panel.
9. Record the following information for each affected module
o Type of assessment – e.g. exam, assignment, placement o Deadline date for submission – the date of your exam or the date your assignment was due to be handed in o The adjustment you would like the Assessment Board to consider – this may not be the course of...