Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. What is meant by diversity?
It is used to describe the differences between people, some we can see others we cant.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
In my community we have a great variation of people. There are some retired people, an ex-vicar, our neighbours are Spanish. Some people are single, others married, some have children. There is also a gay couple on our street In the area there is also a difference in social standing with some middle and working classes. There is an area of Bungalows where the older generation live and many people on the street have children. There is a spiritual church, a Christian church and a Kingdom of Jehovah’s witnesses. There is a wide variety of interests we have a cricket pitch, bowling green, football pitch, swimming baths and basketball court within 10 minutes’ walk. There are many local restaurants offering a huge choice of cuisine
In a few short sentences I have shown the variations in age, beliefs, interests, social standing, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religion and gender
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
People from different countries can show us a different way to live/cook People of different sexuality can encourage us to be more understanding People with different beliefs and religions can lead us to questions and answers about ourselves and society Variety of interests enable us to enjoy more things
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
Diversity enhances my life as it makes me more understanding of different cultures and gives me greater knowledge of the world. It also leads to a greater choice of cuisine and new cooking techniques as well as new tastes.
Diversity allows people to adapt and change their attitudes on others and allows them to develop as individuals and create a more varied and closer society
Diversity enhances the country as it shows us tolerance and enables us a greater understanding of other countries and beliefs
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
Respecting people’s differences is about recognising people are different and respecting this right for them to different whether we agree with it or not. If we are more tolerant of others then society is more peaceful and others will be more tolerant of us. It is important to respect these differences so we don’t alienate people and bully or victimise them leading to violence.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
|Defining factors |Brief description | |Physical characteristics |Smart but casual dressed 40 year old man | | | | |...