Bataan, as we all know it, is known for the famous death march that happened during World War II. But nonetheless, Bataan is known for the bravery of Bataenos who fought for our Peninsula.
But before Bataan was Bataan, it was known as then known as Vatan. It was part of the vast Capampangan Empire that included what now are the provinces of Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, and some portions of Bulacan, Zambales and Pangasinan, These coastal villages were inhabited by natives who were predominantly fishermen, farmers and craftsmen. Meanwhile, the hillsides were inhabited by nomadic Aeta tribes.
Bataan was established in 1754 by Governor General Pedro Manuel Arandia. Before this, the region was divided into two parts: the Corregimiento of Mariveles and the Province of Pampanga. The towns of Mariveles, Bagac, Morong and Maragondon, Cavite comprised the Corregimiento of Mariveles that was under the jurisdiction of the Recollect Order of the Roman Catholic Church. The province of Pampanga included the towns of Orion, Pilar, Balanga, Abucay, Samal, Orani, Llana Hermosa and San Juan de Dinalupihan. The latter group was under the charge of the Dominican Order. Limay, the twelfth town of Bataan, was named only in 1917.
After the World War II, Bataan is politically subdivided into 11 municipalities and 1 component city.
Now, Bataan has become more and more industrialized but was still able to maintain the beauty and meaning of its historical and natural landmarks.
Come and join us as we partake to you BATAAN!
The only land-locked municipality of the province...DINALUPIHAN.
The story goes that even when Dinalupihan was still a barrio of Hermosa, its people manifested a fighting instinct which served them well in the development of their community and in their defense against alien invaders and local criminals. The place got so famous for its fighting spirit that it came to be known as "di-nalupigan' or not conquered. The name "Di-nalupigan" stuck, but as luck would have it, the letter "g" was inadvertently changed to "h" during the registration of its name. Thus, the town with a fighting heart is now known as Dinalupihan.
But whether it is "Di-nalupigan" or Dinalupihan, history is witness to how the residents fought like tigers during the Spanish revolution of 1896 and during the Japanese invasion. Records show that Dinalupihan was risen into parish in 1856 and placed under the patronage of San Juan Bautista.
The town of Dinalupihan gradually rose to heights. It now hosts provincial government offices of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR), NIA, Pag-ibig Fund and the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) that serves Bataan and Zambales public employees. They also have sports facilities like an olympic size swimming pool, track and field, and a covered basketball court that have been venues for sporting events like the Palarong Pambansa and the CLRAA Meet. A civic center where nationally acclaimed production outfits have showed great stage plays is also in this town. Dinalupihan is the only town in Bataan that does not have a shoreline. And is the second smallest in terms of land area (4,460 has.) but still has the most number of barangays (46) in the province. The town is considered as the gateway to Olongapo City and Subic Bay Freeport. It is traversed by the National Highway and the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX).
Utilities and Amenities
Major telephone companies servicing the town are Digital Telecommunications (Digitel) and Bayan Telecommunications (BayanTel). Cellular phones are also available through Smart and Mobiline. Radio Communications Philippines, Inc. (RCPI), provides telegram and telegraph services. Electricity is provided by Peninsula Electric Cooperative (PENELCO). The Dinalupihan Water District serves 19 barangays while other areas use free-flowing pumps and deepwells. The town has a total of 8 banks, 7...