UNDERSTAND HOW TO SAFEGARD AND WELLBEING OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF E-SAFETY FOR CHLDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
EXPLAIN THE RISK AND POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCES FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE OF BEING ONLINE AND OF USING A MOBILE PHONE
As an access to internet brings huge benefits for everyone, especially as a source of knowledge. Nowadays dark side of internet and mobile network is more and more visible as it also offer possibilities for the abuse of children and young people. Increasingly more children and young people have access to internet and mobile phones, which may be beneficial but also brings significant risk of exposing them to threats to their safety and well-being. Internet, mobile phones as well as video games pose a risk of:
● cyber-bullying. Children may receive texts or emails that make them feel sad, embarrassed, upset, depressed or afraid. This could be damaging to the child’s self-esteem and psychological well-being.
● access to unsuitable sites and materials like pornographic, hateful or violent in nature; that encourages activities that are dangerous or illegal, age inappropriate or biased.
● exposure to commercial sites.
● danger from adult seeking to exploit children. Some people use the internet to make contact with children and young people with the intention of developing a relationship which they can progress to sexual activity.
● Cliques and groups. Just as in the real world, cliques and groups can form online and these groups may get involved in inappropriate, antisocial, or illegal behaviour while using digital technologies.
● Divulging Personal Information. Most parents do not allow their children to give out personal information online and around 50% of children acknowledge this. Just under half of 9-19 year old children who go online once a week say that they have given out personal information, such as their full name, age, address, email address,...