Where to study
Creating good conditions to study in can help you make the most of the time you spend revising. Here are some suggestions:
* Find a quiet place to study and make sure you are sitting comfortably
* Make sure your desk is well lit
* Keep background noise to a minimum
* Avoid studying in an area where there will be distractions (like television!)
* Have everything you need to do your revision to hand before you start
How to study
There is no ‘right way’ to revise, as long as the method you choose enables you to gain a solid grasp of key facts and consolidate your knowledge. Some students are happy to read their classroom notes from start to finish, others prefer to simplify the information as much as possible, turning everything into skeleton notes, diagrams or mnemonics. In practice, most students find that mixing techniques suits the varied nature of the subjects being revised, and provides essential variety when studying.
* Turn your notes into revision tools;
* write ideas and facts on to cards to use as ‘prompts’
* create memory aids such as diagrams or mnemonics (e.g. initial letters to make a word you need to remember or SMART objectives: Specific; Measurable; Achievable; Realistic; Targets). These will help you remember key facts
* write key facts/notes out and display these around the house where you will see them
* record yourself reading notes to listen to
* Study with a friend and test each other’s knowledge, but remember you are meeting to revise rather than to chat!
* Work through past question papers – and use a watch to time them so that you can practise timing your answers.
* Choose study and revision guides sensibly. It’s not hard to find help with revision – as well as established published revision guides, there are hundreds of websites offering help and advice. The problem is not how to find such help, but how to judge which is the best source for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 05). Exam Tips. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Exam-Tips-686015.html
"Exam Tips" StudyMode.com. 05 2011. 05 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Exam-Tips-686015.html>.
"Exam Tips." StudyMode.com. 05, 2011. Accessed 05, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Exam-Tips-686015.html.