Exam Paper

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 104
  • Published : October 4, 2012
Open Document
Text Preview
Page 1 of 7

ASSIGNMENT 1st SEMESTER

:

INTERNATIONAL MARKETING
(M3)

STUDY UNITS COVERED

:

CHAPTERS 8, 9 AND 10

DUE DATE

:

3.00 p.m. 16 March 2010

TOTAL MARKS

:

100

INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES FOR COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING
ASSIGNMENTS
The complete ’Instructions to Students for Completing and Submitting Assignments‘ must be collected from any IMM GSM office, the relevant Student Support Centre or can be downloaded from the IMM GSM website. It is essential that the complete instructions be studied prior to commencing your assignment. The following points highlight only a few important notes. 1)

You are required to submit ONE assignment per subject.

2)

The assignment will contribute 20% towards the final examination mark, and the other 80% will be made up from the examination, however, the examination papers will count out of 100%.

3)

Although your assignment will contribute towards your final examination mark, you do not have to earn credits for admission to the examinations; you are automatically accepted on registering for the exam.

4)

Number all the pages of your assignment (e.g. page 1 of 4) and write your name and surname, student number and subject at the top of each page.

5)

The IMM GSM requires assignments to be presented in a typed format, on plain A4 paper. Unless otherwise specified, this assignment must be completed within a limit of 1500 words, excluding the bibliography.

6)

A separate assignment cover, which is provided by the IMM GSM, must be attached to the front of each assignment.

7)

Retain a copy of each assignment before submitting, in case the original does not reach the IMM GSM.

8)

The assignment due date refers to the day up to which assignments will be accepted for marking purposes. The deadline is 3:00 p.m. on 16 March 2010. Late assignments will be accepted, but 25 marks will be deducted from the maximum mark, if received after 3:00 p.m. on 16 March 2010 and up to 5:00 p.m. the following day, after which no assignments will be accepted.

9)

If you fail to follow these instructions carefully, the IMM Graduate School of Marketing cannot accept responsibility for the return of the assignment. It may even result in your assignment not being marked.

Results will be available on the IMM GSM website: www.imm.co.za on Friday, 7 May 2010.

Assignment: 1st Semester 2010

© IMM Graduate School of Marketing
International Marketing (M3)

Page 2 of 7

SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
This assignment is based on Part 3: Assessing Global Market Opportunities, of Cateora, P.R., Gilly, M.C., and Graham, J.L. 2009. International Marketing. 14th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill.
(13th edition of text contains the same
information)
NOTE
Your total word-count for all three questions should not exceed 1500 words. Read the Case Study 'Marketing to the Bottom of the Pyramid' and answer the questions at the end of the case study.
The three chapters comprising Part 3 of the prescribed text provide useful background information in support of the case study.

CASE STUDY: 'MARKETING TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PYRAMID'
Professor C.K. Prahalad’s seminal publication, The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid, suggests an enormous market exists at the ’bottom of the pyramid‘ (BOP) – a group of some 4-billion people who subsist on less than $2 a day. By some estimates, these ’aspirational poor’, who make up three-fourths of the world’s population, represent $14-trillion in purchasing power, more than Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy, France, and Japan put together. Demographically it is young and growing at 6 percent a year or more.

Traditionally, the poor have not been considered an important market segment. “The poor can’t afford most products”… “They will not accept new technologies”, and “except for the most basic products, they have little or no use for most products sold to higher income market segments” – these are some of the assumptions...
tracking img