* Adventure tourism is an increasingly widespread phenomenon, appeals to an expanding proportion of the population who are seeking self – fulfillment and excitement through participating in physically and mentally stimulating activities, travelling to remote destinations or engaging in ‘adrenaline-rush’ experiences as part of their tourist experience.
* For tourism organizations they should organize diverse range of markets as novel and exclusive experiences, from whale watching to white-water rafting, bungee jumping to self-discovery holidays.
Demand: 1. Adventure tourist
* Adventure tourists make their holiday choices based on lifestyle rather than age. 60
* “… the characteristic quality is not age per se but attitude – a spirit of adventure and enthusiasm” ( Economic Intelligence Unit, 1992: 45) 60
* ‘Soft’ and ‘hard’ adventurers: soft adventures are motivated by self – discovery, the need to escape from the routine of urban life and experience new environments, the potential excitement, novelty, and the opportunity to socialize in a controlled environment ; with a perceived risk but low levels of real risk…. ; hard adventurers activities with high levels of risk, requiring intense commitment and advanced skills; procure their ‘adrenaline rush’ from taking risks 63, 64
* Table 3.2 65
* Tourist motivation: it’s a complex subject that draws upon the academic discipline of psychology to explain individuals’ decision – making processes and the reasons why they behave as they do both before and during their holidays. (66) Adventure tourism motivation: Adventure tourists have strong appetite for ‘nervetingling excitement’. They achieve their ‘holiday highs’ through various activities that involve, for example, risk taking, excitement, escapism, personal development, socializing, self – discovery and self – actualization.
* Table 3.3 69 benefits of adventure travel and what`s offering... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). Everything. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Everything-506453.html
"Everything" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Everything-506453.html>.
"Everything." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Everything-506453.html.