Escaping a Domestic Violence Relationship

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 275
  • Published : June 26, 2010
Open Document
Text Preview
Escaping a Domestic Violence Relationship

University of Phoenix
Pat Boyd
April 8, 2010

Escaping a Domestic Violence Relationship
Relationship abuse is a pattern of abusive or forcible behaviors used to maintain power or control over a formal or current intimate partner (“Controlling and Abusive Relationship,” 2006). It does not matter if the person is married or not married; living together, separated or dating someone, domestic violence can happen. Isolation, intimidation, financial, sexual, physical, psychological, and emotional abuse are forms of abuse experienced in a domestic violence relationship. There are ways of getting out of a domestic violence relationship. Even though getting out of a domestic violence relationship is the hardest part of the relationship, a person can get out of a domestic violence relationship by seeking legal help, by obtaining outside help, and by getting psychological counseling. Getting out of a domestic violence relationship seems helpless, but it is not. The victim is scared to leave the abuser because of what they might do to them. Involving the police and filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRA) is the first step in getting away from your abuser. A Domestic Violence Retraining Order is a court order that will help protect you from the abuser (“Domestic Violence Restraining,” 2005-2010). It tells your abuser to stop threatening and harming you. A DVRA is designed to protect you or your children under the age 18 from violence such as; striking, attacking, battering, molesting, stalking, harassing, physical injuries, sexual assault, and destroying of personal property. You can file a DVRA if you or your minor children have been victims of domestic violence from a family member, spouse, father or mother or your child. An order of protection must be filed at the court house where the abuse happened and the county where you and the abuser live. Ask for a “Request for Domestic violence...
tracking img