Understanding Erikson – Understanding Psycho-Social Development Directions: Read the following 2 scenarios and answer the questions that follow. Refer to your textbook for details on Erikson’s theory. Answer all questions in complete sentences with proper grammar and spelling. The points possible for each question are listed next to each question.
* Katie is twelve weeks old. The teacher who usually cares for Katie is out sick. Katie cries and cries. When her mom picks up at the center, she is upset that Katie is exhausted and fretful. She requests that Katie not be too much in the care of one caregiver, because she does not want more hard days like today.
1. Which stage of psycho-social development is important in this scenario?(3 pts) Erikson’s first stage- Trust versus Mistrust.
2. What is the special bond between Katie and her caregiver and why is it important to a Katie’s development?(3 pts) External and internal bonds. It means, Belief that adults will be present to meet baby’s needs, and belief in baby’s own power to effect change, and cope with variety of circumstances.
3. Identify a common characteristic of children who lack strong attachments.(2 pts) Empathy- having the ability to put yourself in another persons’ place and understand how they feel.
4. Name two things you can you do as a parent or teacher to develop trust in babies like Katie?(3 pts) Two things that can help would be; holding babies close and having warm physical contact with them while they are being fed, and responding right away to their distress when they cry or fuss. Stated in Theories of Childhood (Erik Erickson)p.41
5. Describe what Erikson says about spoiling a baby? Is Katie spoiled? How do you know?(4 pts) Erickson states it is impossible to spoil a baby the first year of its life. Babies will develop the strongest sense of security if they know adults will aid them when they cry. With consistent responsive care, they are...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document