1.1 Identify the current legislation and code of practice relevant to the promotion of equality and valuing of diversity
Equality is ensuring individuals or groups of individuals are treated fairly and equally and no less favourably, specific to their needs, including areas of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age.
Promoting equality should remove discrimination in all of the aformentioned areas. Bullying, harassment or victimization are also considered as equality and diversity issues.
Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people’s differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and students.
Human Rights, Diversity and Equality
The six areas of diversity in law are disability, gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation and religion / belief. Discrimination is forbidden in these areas by legislation including:
• Sex Discrimination Act 1975
• Race Relations Act 1976 (amended 2000)
• Human Rights Act 1998
• Equal Opportunities Act 2004
• DDA – Disability & Discrimination Act 1995
• DDA Part 4 Code of Practice 1995
• SENDA – Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001
We can promote equality and diversity by:
• treating all staff and students fairly
• creating an inclusive culture for all staff and students
• ensuring equal access to opportunities to enable students to fully participate in the learning process
• enabling all staff and students to develop to their full potential
• equipping staff and students with the skills to challenge inequality and discrimination in their work/study environment
• making certain that any learning materials do not discriminate against any individuals or groups
• ensuring sure policies, procedures and processes don't discriminate [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 07). Equality and Divirsity. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Equality-And-Divirsity-730689.html
"Equality and Divirsity" StudyMode.com. 07 2011. 07 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Equality-And-Divirsity-730689.html>.
"Equality and Divirsity." StudyMode.com. 07, 2011. Accessed 07, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Equality-And-Divirsity-730689.html.