Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learnforschools.com and send your completed Assessment to your teacher via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity literally means difference. Diversity recognizes that though people have things in common with each other, they are also different and unique in many ways. Diversity is about recognizing and valuing those differences. Diversity therefore consists of visible and non-visible factors, which include personal characteristics such as background, culture, personality and work-style in addition to the characteristics that are protected under discrimination legislation in terms of race, disability, gender, religion and belief, sexual orientation and age. By recognizing and understanding our individual differences and embracing them, and moving beyond simple tolerance, we can create a productive environment in which everybody feels valued.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
|Defining factors |Brief description | |Physical characteristics | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Emotions | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Likes and dislikes | | | |...