1. filtration Filtration use a filter paper or fine porous ceramic to separate a solid from a liquid. It works because the tiny dissolved particles are too small to be filtered BUT any insoluble 'non-dissolved' solid particles are too big to go through!
2. sublimation Sublimation is the process of transition of a substance from the solid phase to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. Sublimation is anendothermic phase transition that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram.
5. distillation Distillation involves 2 stages and both are physical state changes.
(1) The liquid or solution mixture is boiled to vaporise the most volatile component in the mixture (liquid ==> gas). The ant-bumping granules give a smoother boiling action.
(2) The vapour is cooled by cold water in the condenser to condense (gas ==> liquid) it back to a liquid (the distillate) which is collected.
This can be used to purify water because the dissolved solids have a much higher boiling point and will not evaporate with the steam, BUT it is too simple a method to separate a mixture of liquids especially if the boiling points are relatively close.
6. crystallization Crystallisation can mean a liquid substance changing to its solid form. However, the term usually means what happens when the liquid from a solution has evaporated to a point beyond the solubility limit. Then solid crystals will 'grow' out of the solution because the solution is too concentrated for all the solid to remain dissolved at that temperature. Crystallisation is often done from a hot concentrated solution, because most substance are more soluble the hotter the liquid. Consequently on cooling a hot concentrated solution, crystals form as the solubility gets less and less.
Cite This Essay
(2011, 12). Epekto Ng Makabagong Teknolohiya Partikular Na Ang Kompyuter Sa Mga Mag-Aaral Sa Ust-Amv-Coa Sa Ikaapat Na Antas Taong 2008-2009. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Epekto-Ng-Makabagong-Teknolohiya-Partikular-Na-872057.html
"Epekto Ng Makabagong Teknolohiya Partikular Na Ang Kompyuter Sa Mga Mag-Aaral Sa Ust-Amv-Coa Sa Ikaapat Na Antas Taong 2008-2009" StudyMode.com. 12 2011. 12 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Epekto-Ng-Makabagong-Teknolohiya-Partikular-Na-872057.html>.
"Epekto Ng Makabagong Teknolohiya Partikular Na Ang Kompyuter Sa Mga Mag-Aaral Sa Ust-Amv-Coa Sa Ikaapat Na Antas Taong 2008-2009." StudyMode.com. 12, 2011. Accessed 12, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Epekto-Ng-Makabagong-Teknolohiya-Partikular-Na-872057.html.