Aim: To investigate the activity of the enzyme catalase in liver and potatoes, and to investigate the effect of temperature, surface area, pH and certain chemicals on the activity of catalase.
Dilute hydrochloric acid solution x 1ml 10 volume hydrogen peroxide x 100ml Copper sulphate solution x 1ml Aluminum nitrate solution x 1ml Zinc nitrate solution x 1ml dilute NaOH solution x 1ml
Mortar and pestle x 1 25ml Beaker x 1 Hot plate x1
Porcelain tile x 1 Toothpicks x 8 10ml pipette Spatula x 1 knife Test tube X 11 Test tube rack x 1
Samples: Clean sand, potato, lamb liver
1. Researchers must wear gloves when handling animal parts(in this case, lamb liver), to prevent infection. 2. Researchers must wear gloves when handling chemicals to prevent chemicals from having contact with skin, causing harm. 3. After the experiment, all tools must be sterilized.
1. Prepare all the samples for experiment:
-Cut 8 pieces of lamb liver, each should be a 5mm cube
-Cut 2 pieces of potato, each should be a 5mm cube.
-Then place a toothpick into each sample.
2. Bring a piece of liver to the boil for 3 minutes.
3. Label the 11 test tube A to K, each for a different sample A- sand
B-Cube of liver
C-Cube of potato
F-Cube of boiled liver
G-1 ml HCl + cube of liver
H-1 ml NaOH + cube of liver
I-1 ml CuSO4 + cube of liver
J-1 ml Al(NO3)3 + cube of liver
K-1 ml Zn(NO3)2 + cube of liver
4. Grind one piece of potato and liver separately, add a pinch of sand to the sample to make the grinding easier. 5. After grinding the sample, put it into test tube D and E separately. Put the other sample into the remaining test tubes following the labels. 6. 5ml of hydrogen peroxide solution should be added to each of the 11 test tube. 7. For test tube G-K, add in the chemicals ”HCl, NaOH, CuSO4 ,Al(NO3)3 and Zn(NO3)2’’...