Application ReadMe for Windows® and Macintosh Editions
This document includes supplementary or last minute information not covered in Adobe® PageMaker® 7.0 documentation or online help. It contains tips, known issues, and limitations you need to know to successfully use PageMaker 7.0 software and to exercise new functionality.
For help installing PageMaker 7.0, review the How_to_Install.wri (Windows) and How_to_Install.txt (Macintosh) documents available on the PageMaker 7.0 application CD-ROM. For information on filters, converters, and cross-platform issues, refer to the related ReadMe files on your PageMaker 7.0 application CD-ROM and in the PageMaker 7.0 folder on your hard drive after installation.
The following documents are installed with PageMaker 7.0 in a folder called “TechInfo,” which can be found in the “PageMaker 7.0” folder: • Filters.pdf – includes information regarding graphic and text file import functionality. • Pantone_Readme.pdf – includes information regarding the new Pantone( color libraries available with PageMaker 7.0. • ScriptGuide.pdf – a guide for using the PageMaker script language.
The ReadMe files for the PageMaker 7.0 converter utility for Microsoft Publisher (Windows only) and QuarkXPress (Macintosh and Windows) are also available on your hard drive after installation.
For Windows users:
• :\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\Converter for MSP_QXP\Converter for MSP_QXP.pdf
For Macintosh users:
• Converter for QXP.pdf can be found in the “Converter for QXP” folder in the “PageMaker 7.0” folder.
1. DATA MERGE TIPS AND ISSUES
• Pre-Merge Checklist
• Creating a Publication for Merging
• During Merge
2. PRE-PRESS TIPS AND ISSUES
3. PRINTING TIPS AND ISSUES
• Handling Spot Color from a Placed File
• ICC Version 3 Color Profiles
• PostScript( 3( Images
• Agfa Apogee PDF RIP
4. PAGEMAKER 7.0 TIPS AND ISSUES
• Rebooting after Install
• Running Multiple Versions
• Documentation Errors
5. KNOWN ISSUES WITH OTHER APPLICATIONS AND FILE TYPES
• Placing and Printing EPS Files
• Adobe Acrobat Distiller( -- Exporting a PageMaker File as a PDF • Adobe Illustrator(
• Adobe InDesign(
• Adobe Photoshop(
• ScenicSoft Color Central Sampler
• Macintosh 8.6, 9.1 and OS X operating systems
• Microsoft Windows NT( (SP4 or later)
• Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows ME
• Microsoft Word
• QuarkXPress XTensions
1. DAta MERGE TIPS AND ISSSUES
Merging source file contents into your target PageMaker publications alters the original files. Always save a separate copy of your PageMaker publications before performing a data merge.
Complete editing and alterations to your publication before merging. The merge process splits single stories in multiple stories, making changes more difficult .
Make sure the pasteboard is empty before starting the merge. Otherwise all pasteboard items will also get merged (and copied on each new page created). 
Creating a Publication for Merging
Always use the Preview Records command on the Data Merge palette to check any formatting done to data field placeholders before merging records.
Unsupported formats: You cannot apply Drop Cap or Change Case attributes from the Utilities > Plug-ins menu to your placeholder fields. This converts them from placeholders to plain text. [416275, 416276, 416277, 419443]
Hyperlinks within the data source lose their hypertext property and become plain text when the document is merged. If hyperlinks are required, they need to be created after the merge process. [416275, 416276, 420672]. In addition, anchor sources with destinations in the same document may lose their hypertext property after merge.
Unexpected bullet behavior: If you add bullets to data field placeholders and then remove them using the Remove button on the Bullets dialog box, text or formatting may be...