Marks: 15% Due Date: Feb. 15
Write an essay of minimum 750 words in length (excluding quotations) on any one of the following topics.
Write your essay based on the OUTLINE MODEL on page 60 of Style and Substance. This model is also posted on LEA.
Your essay will be graded according to the following criteria:
Identifies a central idea/theme
Selects pertinent examples and quotations
Provides enough evidence to demonstrate understanding
Includes author, title and thesis in introduction
Relates topic sentences and contents of paragraphs to thesis
Provides transitions within and between paragraphs
Concludes by summarizing key ideas and/or by providing closure
Structures sentences clearly
Uses correct grammar
Chooses appropriate words
Spells and punctuates correctly
Integrates quotation appropriately
You will follow the MLA Style for all the formatting of the essay:
typed, double-spaced, numbered top right side, stapled.
regular font; font size 12
one- inch (2.5 cm) margins
STYLISTIC CONVENTIONS FOR LITERARY ESSAYS
- refer to the events in the text in the simple present tense
- write in the third person formal style
- avoid first person point of view (“I think that,” “it is my argument,” “we can see that”)
- avoid second person point of view (“you,” “reader”)
- avoid references to your argument (“In this paper,” “the main claim is,” “my evidence” “It shows that”)
- avoid using “so” as a transition
- do not ask questions, except as an attention-grabber to begin your introduction or a thought-provoking question at the very end
- do not emphasize your personal opinion. Instead, the essay should be a thoughtful discussion of
theme, character, conflict or style of the story.
§ Quotations should be written into your own sentences and appropriately referenced in quotation marks “ ” . The author’s last name and the page number are... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 04). English Essay. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Essay-981460.html
"English Essay" StudyMode.com. 04 2012. 04 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Essay-981460.html>.
"English Essay." StudyMode.com. 04, 2012. Accessed 04, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Essay-981460.html.