1. The British Renaissance starts in the 1500’s and ends in the 1700’s.
2. Some of the major writers includes Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Thomas Campion (1567-1620), John Donne (1572-1631), Ben Jonson (1572-1637), Williams Shakespeare (1564-1616), Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), John Milton (1608-1674), Edmund Spenser (1552-1599), Sir Phillip Sydney (1554—1586), Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Sir Thomas Wyatt the Elder (1503-1542), Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618), John Calvin (1509-1564), Mary Wroth (1587-1651).
3. Some of the major titles include Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene, William Shakespeare’s Hamlet, First Folio, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing, Christopher Marlowe’s The Muses Darling, John Milton’s Paradise Lost, Thomas More’s Utopia.
4. The general characteristics of the writings of this period are the lyric, the elegy, the tragedy, and the pastoral.
5. The poem and the drama are prominent during this period.
6. The kind of poetry emphasized in this period is the lyric, the elegy, the tragedy, and the pastoral.
7. In the area of drama, no one matched William Shakespeare in terms of variety, profundity, and exquisite use of language. His subject matter ran the gamut, from classical Greco-Roman stories to contemporary tales of unrequited love. Shakespeare is known for his ability to shift between comedy and tragedy, from complex character study to light-hearted farce.
8. There wasn’t fiction mentioned in this period.
9. There weren’t any Major Philosophical Ideas expressed in this period.
10. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry This above all: to thine ownself be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. Farewell: my blessing season this in thee!" --Lord Polonius, Hamlet Act I, Scene 3
The French or British Enlightenment
1. The... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). English Assignment. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Assignment-1272858.html
"English Assignment" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Assignment-1272858.html>.
- MLA 7
"English Assignment." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Assignment-1272858.html>.
"English Assignment." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-Assignment-1272858.html.