Newspapers sell because of news and (a) editor coverage but they get more revenue from (b) advertise. News cost money, advertisements fetch money. The (c) economical of modern newspaper is such that it cannot run by just (d) sell news; it has to (e) dependent on advertisements. The economics of newspaper publishing requires both (f) subscribe who can afford to buy newspapers and businessmen who can advertise in it. The (g) grow of the press depends on both. Therefore, in newspaper (h) manage neither aspect can be neglected.
2. Look at the words and phrases given below. Rearrange them to form meaningful sentences.
a. a/virtue/is/god-gifted/selflessness selflessness is a god gifted virtue
b. seeks/he/his/of others/happiness/in the happiness
3. Select one answer from the choices provided after each sentence. The word you choose should fit the blank in the sentence.
i. Kara Wolters, together with her teammates, _presents________ a formidable opponent on thebasketballcourt.
ii. He seems to forget that there __are ________ things to be done before he can graduate.
4. What is Parellelism?
5. Not parallel: Mr. Thomas likes cooking, jogging, and to read.
Parallel: Mr. Thomas likes cooking, jogging, and reading.
In the above example, the first sentence has two gerunds and one infinitive. To make it parallel, the sentence was rewritten with three gerunds instead.
Now, rewrite the below mentioned sentence to make it a parallel by making the desired changes:
• Not parallel: Affy ran across the yard, jumped over the fence, and down the alley he sprinted.
6. There are five parallelism mistakes in each of the following passages. Identify the faulty sentences and rewrite them correctly.
For the 10 percent... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). English 2009. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-2009-544217.html
"English 2009" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-2009-544217.html>.
"English 2009." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/English-2009-544217.html.