For your first essay, please choose one of the following topics (or you may propose a topic of your own, but please discuss it with me first):
1) Discuss how Molière uses character to express or “teach” an issue of interest to the audience of his day. Remember to include historical references, but the majority of your essay should focus on the text.
2) Discuss the use of satire in Tartuffe. Remember to create a strong central thesis. Will you focus on a character? On style? On structure? On setting?
3) Discuss the ending of Tartuffe. How do elements of the play justify (or not this ending?
4) Discuss the role of women in Saikaku’s, from Life of a Sensuous Woman. Be sure to have a clear, narrowed focus and to use specific examples to support your thesis.
5) Discuss the tension between value systems in “Du Tenth Sinks the Jewel Box in Anger.” Be sure to specifically define those value systems and support your focus with specific examples from the text.
You will be graded on the following:
1) a clear, focused thesis which examines how a social issue is presented in a text or texts
2) a logical ordering of ideas
3) smooth transitions between ideas
4) nicely organized paragraphs (assertion; introduction of support; detailed support; explanatory sentence or sentences connecting your support to your thesis)
5) thorough development
6) correct grammar
7) diction (appropriate/correct word choice; interesting, varied vocabulary)